Indian retail sector has seen a tremendous growth in the past few years. It has moved from traditional to a more organized form of business and with all this happening the demand of people for jobs in this sector has gained a better speed. The growth of national and international retail chains has taken up the level of economy and has got better job opportunities in the nation.
In this article we will talk about the retail jobs in India. What all you need to get there and what salary you may expect once you get in the profession: –
So, to begin let us talk about the job roles that most people can take up in Retail Jobs: –
- Sales Associate.
- Customer Service Representative
- Visual Merchandiser
- Store Manager
- Assistant Store Manager
- Inventory Control Specialist
Though there are a lot of job roles in this industry but today we will focus on sales executive jobs in retail industry so with this in mind let’s proceed further:-
Let us talk about the skills you may need to get a sales executive job in retail industry:
- Knowledge of data base user interface and customer query software— Data entry software, Gift registry software, Microsoft Access.
- Electronic mail software usage— Microsoft Outlook, IBM Notes
- Experience of graphics or photo imaging software— Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud, SmugMug Flickr, Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator and complete Adobe Systems CS6.
- Hand on with operating system software— Apple mac, computer device software, Microsoft Windows etc.
- Knowledge of point of sale software— Plexis Software Plexis POS; iQmetrix RQ4 Retail Management System; The General Store; TokenWorks Magnetic Card Reader.
These are the skills that one must have if he or she is looking forward to get in to a good job profile in this. Even if one is a fresher or a recent MBA post graduate if you want to pursue a career in retail industry you should have skill to talk and use email along with Microsoft excel.
With this let us take a look at the job responsibilities that one needs to take care of in this job as a sales executive:-
- Working in customer setting environment— working for customers or dealing directly with the prospective customers. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or customers.
- Selling or persuading people— persuading others to purchase merchandise products or to otherwise influence their minds or actions.
- Receiving Information— Observing, getting, and obtaining information from all pertinent sources.
- Forming and Managing Interpersonal Relationships— Developing positive and supportive working relations with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Taking Decisions and Solving Issues— Examining information and assessing results to select the best solution and solve issue.
This is the job role of a sales executive in retail chains and most sales people are trained in these skills. In Retail jobs training constitutes a very important part of the job. As every customer is different and so should be the way to handle them hence sales personals have to go through a rigorous training to learn selling skills at its best.
So, taking you through the right salary expectation in this profile so take a careful look on the chart below to understand the compensation as per the years of experience: –
- An entry-level Retail Sales Manager with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of ₹300,000 based on 16 salaries.
- An early career Retail Sales Manager with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹507,226 based on 145 salaries.
- A mid-career Retail Sales Manager with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹739,229 based on 136 salaries.
- An experienced Retail Sales Manager with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹829,730 based on 96 salaries.
- In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of ₹962,500.
These pointers explain the compensation details though this compensation varies depending upon the education qualification and various other factors. So, till now you must would have understood that retail is a booming industry in India and hence if you want to make a career in this then develop the requisite skills as stated above and flourish in your career goals.