The COVID-19 induced slow down has further given an impetus to the freelance jobs around the world.
And Singapore is no different.
The concept of gig economy, though already popular in pre-pandemic time, is now gaining pace due to the tough job market conditions.
At a time when companies are hiring cautiously, freelance jobs in Singapore are gaining momentum because there are hardly any liabilities involved. Home based jobs or online jobs not only reduce the risk of coronavirus spread but they are also cost efficient in tough market conditions.
So, if you are looking for a job that offers you freedom of working from your home or remote location you are comfortable working with, freelance jobs could be the way out.
Types of Freelance Jobs
There are a number of freelance jobs you can choose from. While the IT sector remains at the top for recruiting freelancers, there are other industries and sectors as well which offer freelancing opportunities to professionals.
Some of the fields for freelance jobs are:
- Web and graphic design
- Accounting and finance
- Sales and marketing etc.
These days, employers prefer to hire freelancers rather than regular employees and give them short-term projects.
And there are various benefits of outsourcing a job to a freelancer.
Benefits for Employers
- Employers save time and money by hiring freelancers for time-based projects
- There are no costs involved in annual training of employees
- Organisations save on health insurance, and other allowances
- Companies are not required to incur additional expenses in providing infrastructure and workspace
- There are no workplace complications
- No commitments to keep employees on a permanent basis
- Freelancers excel at short-term projects with on-time delivery
Benefits for Freelancers
- A freelance job can be done from anywhere
- Freelancers can work from home or any other remote location
- They can work in any time of their choice depending on the time frame in which they need to deliver their projects
- They can take up as many projects as they want
- They can pick up projects as per their skills and capabilities without any compulsion
- Since freelancers do not have to commute to their offices, this saves them time and energy to be more productive
- Freelancing jobs also allow them to follow their hobbies and passion. They get time for other activities as well besides their office work.
A freelance job is a good way to maintain a perfect balance in their life and work which is an essential requirement in these stressful times.
Growing Popularity of Freelance Jobs
As mentioned above the tough market conditions have given rise to the popularity of freelance jobs. With use of the Internet and the advancement in technology, freelance jobs are on the rise. Today, it is easy for professionals to be self-employed and work independently as per their skills, experience, talent and comfort.
And that too without affecting their earning capabilities.
To make it easy for candidates to find work from home job opportunities, many job portals have added ‘work from home, online job and flexibility timings’ tags to the latest jobs. According to various news reports, more Singaporeans are taking jobs in the gig economy.
Some of the popular freelance jobs in Singapore are social media specialist, game tester, copy writing, photography and graphic designing.